Cruising grounds


Numerous small islands, picturesque bays, long sandy beaches, crystal clear water and thousands of kilometres of coastline make Greece an attractive destination for water sports enthusiasts. Sailing and motorboat cruising in the Land of the Gods. The Ionian Sea is the place to go for a laid-back cruise amidst bays that offer a stunning mix of turquoise water and Caribbean flair. A predictable strong breeze in the midsummer months makes the Aegean Sea a paradise for seasoned heavy-air enthusiasts.


Greece has relatively few commercial marinas, but unfinished marina projects are quite common. While breakwaters have been installed for protection, there are neither shops nor restaurants at the latter. Most facilities are local ports or commercial or fishing harbours which are also approached by pleasure craft. Mooring a boat there is usually free of charge or inexpensive. As is typical for most Mediterranean countries, fore/aft moorings are available to tie up your boat at the harbour. Berths, which are assigned by the marina’s staff, usually have mooring lines.


In the Ionian Sea, thermal effects usually produce winds in the afternoon that reach 3-4 Beaufort in the midsummer months. Thunderstorms are very rare. Experienced crews and seaworthy yachts are prerequisites for cruising the Aegean Sea in the summer because of the Meltemi, a strong northerly breeze.


A transit log known as a Deltio Kinisis or DEKPA (private pleasure yacht maritime traffic document) is required for private pleasure craft whose overall length exceeds 7m. The document is issued by the port authority at the Greek port of first entry.
The DEKPA is available at €50 for an unlimited period of time, and you need to have it confirmed by a port authority before the end of any one year. You are required to present the following documents: ID card or passport, proof of insurance and boat registration.

Entry and exit fee

An extra €15 fee is charged by the port authority on arrival in Greece for pleasure craft longer than 7m. The sum must be paid into an account of the port police. Before leaving Greece to proceed to a port in another country, you are required to pay a €5 fee.


Under the 2013 law on charges for ships (Telos Paramonis ke Ploon) adopted by the Greek Ministry for Financial and Maritime Affairs, boat owners are charged an annual tax TE.P.A.I. for pleasure craft on the basis of the overall boat length as from 2 April 2019:

Total boat lengthMonthly ratePer year
7 - 8 meter16 Euro192 Euro
> 8 und ≤ 10 meter25 Euro300 Euro
> 10 und ≤ 12 meter33 Euro396 Euro
≥ 12 meter8 Euro per meter and fractions thereof
TE.P.A.I. for pleasure boats in Greece

The fee is subject to discounts on payment in advance. The TE.P.A.I. receipt should be kept with the boat’s papers to be presented on demand.

Non-payment of the fee is subject to fines between €190 and max. €1,100 depending on the boat’s length.
The introduction of the new TEPAI tax was delayed until 9 May 2019. It is now possible to pay eTEPAI on-line. Up to now it could only be payed at offices of financial or port and customs authorities. For further information check with the Cruising Assosciation (CA). The competent Greek authority, the AADE, has published a list of FAQs
Many local ports provide yacht service stations – recognisable by quay walls hatched with blue and yellow lines – where you can get fuel and water. Diesel fuel is usually less expensive in Greece than in Turkey.


Safety gear

Under their duty of care, skippers are required to carry on board rescue equipment in quantities commensurate with the vessel’s size. For valuable information on the adequate safety equipment, please refer to the recommended minimum equipment for pleasure boats and yachts.


Non-domestic pleasure craft of under 300 GRT are required to have boat liability insurance cover and carry proof or such insurance in Greek or English. Minimum insurance cover is €500,000 for personal injury, €150,000 for property damage and €150,000 for environmental damage.

Entering Greece

Rules for Turkish nationals in transit
Required documents:
Turkish nationals in transit presenting a valid passport and residence title from a Schengen country (e.g. Germany) do not need a visa. In compliance with the applicable EU Regulation of 19 July 2013, the passport must not be older than 10 years and be valid at least 3 months after the intended date of departure from Greece.

Proof of VAT payment (EU)

You may need to produce such proof upon request for any vessel within the EU (e.g. original invoice with VAT shown, confirmation by an authority).

Skipper qualifications

Pleasure craft operators’ certificates or the corresponding documentation from the skipper’s home country.

Ship’s papers

The Greek authorities accept the international certificate for pleasure craft issued by ADAC (IBS) as a proof of registration and ownership. Entering Greece by sea, you must approach the nearest port of entry. When entering, hoist the Greek and Q international signal flags.
The authorities may require a current crew list which also lists the passport or ID card numbers.

Vehicle papers

Driving licence and vehicle registration papers. International Green Card recommended.

Boat towing

Speed limits

For vehicle-trailer combinations: 50 kph in built-up areas, 80 kph outside built-up areas and on motorways.

Tractor-trailer combination

Car plus trailer must not exceed 2.55m in width and 18m in length. Drawbar trailers: 2.55x12m.
Vehicle-trailer combinations whose dimensions exceed the allowed limits require special authorisation. Such special authorisation is available from the

Ministry of Infrastructure, Transport and Networks
2, Anastaseos Str and Tsigante
10191 Athens
Phone: +30 21 06 50 80 00
Fax: +30 21 06 50 80 88 52

Traffic regulations

Turn on your low beams during daytime only if visibility is poor. At roundabouts, circulating vehicles must yield to entering vehicles. No stopping signs showing one vertical line are valid on odd dates, signs showing two vertical lines are valid on even dates. Kerbside yellow markings indicate no parking zones.

Drink-drive limit

0.2‰ for novice drivers, i.e. holding a licence for less than 2 years, and motorcyclists.


Pannenhilfe rund um die Uhr durch den Automobilclub ELPA. Hilfeleistungen sind kostenpflichtig. Im Rahmen der ADAC Plus-Mitgliedschaft werden die Kosten zur Pannenbehebung und die Abschleppkosten bis zu jeweils 300 Euro erstattet. Für Mitglieder ohne ADAC Plus-Mitgliedschaft ist die Hilfeleistung kostenpflichtig.

Automobil- und Touring-Club von Griechenland (ELPA)
Agia Paraskevi
Mesogeion Avenue 395
15343 Athen
Tel.: +30 21 06 06 88 00
Fax: +30 21 06 06 89 81

Europäische Notrufnummer 112
Seenotrettung: UKW-Kanal 16 / 70

In Griechenland wird von der Küstenfunkstelle Olympia Radio und von der Küstenwache (Hellenic Coast Guard) die Hörwache für Seenotfälle auf den üblichen Frequenzen sichergestellt.


  • Hellenic Coast Guard
  • Olympia Radio

Telefonische Notrufe:

  • Olympia Radio +30 210 600 1799
  • Piraeus Coastguard JRCC +30 210 411 2500
  • Hellenic Coast Guard Kurzwahl 108 oder 112


  • Olympia Radio 00237 1000
  • Piraeus Coastguard JRCC 237 673 000


Seewetterbericht des griechischen Zentrums für Meeresforschung unter sowie beim Hellenic National Meteorological Service unter

Der Deutsche Wetterdienst informiert über Seewetter und Sturmwarnungen (


Die Mehrwertsteuer beträgt 23 %.